Singing bowls have become very popular these past few years. But people have used them for sound therapy to soothe the mind, body, and soul for over 2500 years now. These bowls come with a wooden stout or mallet which when rubbed around it produces a deep, rich, and harmonious sound. The vibrating sounds of singing bowls linger long after you stop playing and promote relaxation and offer powerful healing properties.
The traditional methods of stress relief like singing bowls come without any side effects on our health. This is why they are used by practitioners to help people relax and let go of their worries. The more that people learn about singing bowls, the more they are convinced to include them in their daily lives. A full moon singing bowl is another tool that people seek to relieve stress and induce mindfulness. It is much like an ordinary singing bowl in looks but is much more powerful than you think.
What is a full moon singing bowl?
Full moon singing bowls are handmade on the full moon night each month. Making singing bowls under direct moonlight on the full moon night is said to enhance the spiritual powers of the singing bowls, making them more beneficial. They are made by combining different alloys: copper, tin, zinc, lead, iron, silver, and gold. It is said that eating from such bowls provides minerals to the body. The sound and vibrations made by these bowls depend largely on the size of the bowl and the proportion of their ingredient metals.
The singing bowl usually comes with a stout, wooden stick. When the stick strikes the bowl or rubs around the bowl in circular motions, a deep and rich-toned sound comes from it. The sound and vibrations work as a kind of music therapy for people. There are many theories and studies about why singing bowls are considered therapeutic. All of these usually suggest that:
- The bowls produce vibrations that affect the mind and the body.
- The sound of the bowls creates brain waves that induce deep relaxation in people.
- They may give the same benefits as listening to soothing and meditative music.
Benefits of full moon singing bowls:
Full moon singing bowls are very powerful tools. They produce energetic vibrations that last for a long time. This rich and deep sound and vibrations linger in the air and provide stress relief. They are used by a wide range of professionals, including health professionals, school teachers, musicians, yoga teachers, and spiritual teachers. Singing bowls are used in health care by psychotherapists, massage therapists, and stress and meditation specialists. They are also used to help treat post-traumatic stress disorder.
Here are some benefits of full moon singing bowls:
- Harmonizing the body: The deep vibrations and tone of the singing bowls may help in balancing our body’s spiritual energy (chakras) and harmonizing the cells. Many people vouch for such spiritual benefits of these singing bowls.
- Anxiety Relief: In a study of singing bowls, scientists recorded their sound. They discovered wave patterns that were similar to the alpha waves produced by our brain. This gives us immense relaxation when a singing bowl is played. Our brain loosens up and we are relieved of stress.
- Meditation: The music from singing bowls is meditative and therapeutic. Many healing practitioners help people meditate and become mindful with the assistance of singing bowls. The alpha waves and vibrations help people stay focused and let go of any tension in their bodies.
- Helps with insomnia: Calm music never fails to stir people deeply inside and push them into deep relaxation. Because of their contribution to easing anxiety and depression, singing bowls also help people with insomnia to doze off.
- Lowers blood pressure: In a study conducted and published in the American Journal of Health Promotion in 2014, a 12-minute relaxation session with singing bowls directly impacted lowering blood pressure and heart rate.
- Stimulates the immune system: People believe that singing bowls impact our brain waves and stimulate our immune system directly. They also improve blood circulation and eliminate toxins from our bodies.
- Pain Relief: It is found that singing bowls help relieve pain in the joints, muscles, and shoulders. They also ease any tension and blockages in the digestive system and help regulate the energy flow.
- Eases Migraines: Although loud and piercing sounds are the root of migraines, singing bowls seem to do the exact opposite. People with severe headaches and migraines claim the singing bowl therapy to have helped them with it.
How to play a full moon singing bowl?
Noe that you know how special and beneficial full moon singing bowls are, it is time to learn how to play one. After all, a singing bowl is one of a kind musical instrument. It requires practice and patience to learn to play it. Although they are no rules to play it and you are free to experiment, you can use the following techniques to ease yourself with playing singing bowls.
Striking The Bowl
The striking method is simpler and easier to learn and master. It will not take you long to get it right. Begin by sitting in a comfortable position with your spine comfortably elongated. Take deep breaths and stay calm.
- Hold the bowl right-side-up in your non-dominant hand and the wooden mallet in your dominant hand.
- The padded side of the mallet should rest between your fingers and the bare side used to play the bowl.
- Lightly strike the bowl on the rim or the outside body of the bowl.
- This will create a rich and deep sound and vibrations.
- Let the sound and the vibrations linger and fully dissipate before striking again in the same way.
Rimming The Bowl
This method can be more challenging than the striking method. It will take you some practice before you can fully get the hang of it. Sit in a comfortable position with your spine straight and tall. Take deep breaths and begin. Again, hold the padded side and play the bowl with the bare wooden side.
- Hold the bowl right-side-up with your non-dominant hand and the mallet with your dominant hand.
- Hold the mallet in the middle as you would grip a pen; with the mallet lying in between your index finger, thumb, and middle finger.
- You can strike the bowl first and let the sound and the vibration play out fully.
- Then rub the mallet vertically around the exterior wall of the bowl slowly and all the way around. Or do the same on the rim of the bowl. You can choose to circle around the bowl in clockwise or anticlockwise motion, depending upon which is more comfortable for you.
Note: this action is similar to stirring a pot; slow and full circles around the bowl and keep the mallet held vertically.
- The bowl will start making gentle sounds. Keep this going for several rounds around the bowl. Let the soothing sound build up.
- Increase the pressure by holding the mallet firmly against the bowl, but keep the speed gradual.
- As you continue, the overtone will build up and sound sweet and clear. Once you find the right tone, keep the pressure and speed intact. The pressure is necessary to keep the bowl singing and vibrating.
You can keep going to your liking and comfort. Or slowly come to a stop and let the sound and vibrations linger and dampen themselves slowly. Then begin again in the same way. You can omit striking the bowl before rimming it; although it is easier to make the bowl sing and vibrate if you strike it and start rimming immediately.
You can experiment with going back and forth between striking and rimming once you get used to playing the bowl. There are no set rules for playing the bowl; it depends upon you and what you find easier.
Singing bowls offer a lot of health and spiritual benefits. People all over the world seek comfort and an escape from their problems and anxieties through singing bowl therapy. They have also become popular as souvenirs and gifts when people visit Nepal and other south and east Asian countries.
If you wish to buy a full moon or an ordinary singing bowl, Himalayan Merchanside is at your service with singing bowls handmade in Nepal. For more products made in Nepal locally, you can visit our store.